Monday 6 July 2015

recent reads || june

I HAVEN'T WRITTEN ONE OF THESE TYPES OF POSTS SINCE FEBRUARY?! WHAAA



Oh well... let's get cracking! You know the drill- I read some books and ramble on about them, you take my rubbish advice and move on. LET'S GO!

Lord of the Flies by William Golding 
Judy's already chatted about this one, seeing as we both studied it at school, so I won't go on about it because I've had enough of hearing the words 'savage' and 'evil' and 'deserted island' for a long time. I'll just leave you with an interesting story- we had to write an essay analysing something to do with the novel (forgot the topic). Instead of analysing the story, I started analysing life itself, and therefore got a bad mark for being "too philosophical" (scribbled the English teacher in the margin)!!! D:

The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka ☆☆
This is a story of a man turning into a 'vermin' (the translation is puzzled over whether that means insect or something else, as the German original says “ungeheueres Ungeziefer,” which literally means 'unclean animal not suitable for sacrifice.' :O. I took it to mean cockroach). The teacher however offered her own opinion on the story, where she suggested the man was actually so fed up with his life that he had gone insane and believed he was a cockroach while the whole world watched him thinking "what in the world is this guy doing" so now my mind is frazzled and I think I need to read this story again.

Infographic Guide to Literature by Cassell Illustrated ☆☆
This was a pretty cool book with lots of interesting facts and statistics. Possibly the only way to make me look at statistics is through cute pictures and colourful graphs xD

Alaska by Sue Saliba ☆☆☆
I don't really remember the story too well of this one, mainly because I read through it pretty quickly and didn't take in much, but I do remember that the story line was slightly weak, and the lack of a single capital letter in the story made me slightly disgruntled, even though I guess it was meant for a poetic or lyrical effect... oh well. Wasn't a big fan, but the cover was pretty :P

The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus #1) by Rick Riordan 
WHY DIDN'T I READ THIS SERIES EARLIER?! (okay wait, I can answer that one in one word: laziness xD). I know I'm a little old to be reading this series, but nevertheless it was awesome! It was a little hard to adjust to life without Percabeth and Grover, but I quite like the new people. One of the new main characters Leo has to be my favourite :D

Othello by William Shakespeare 
The storyline for this was weird. I'll wait til we analyse this at school before I formulate a proper opinion.

Macbeth by William Shakespeare 
My English teacher took the liberty to analyse every single line in this play.... don't even dare to mention 'ambition' to me, because I'll whack you with my failed essay on it. No I haven't actually gotten the essay back yet. Yes I am a fortune teller and can predict that I failed.

Dolci di Love by Sarah-Kate Lynch ☆☆
Quite a nice read! It was refreshing to read about the beautiful Italy, but the characters in the story seemed a little weak.

Anne of Green Gables (#1 to #4) by L.M. Montgomery 
The first book of this is now one of my all time favourite books! I first read it when I was younger and even after a few years I still love the vivid descriptions, quirky Anne and the beautiful town of Avonlea as much as I did before. The only thing I find strange about these books is that the series is dreadfully long o.O The first book whizzes through Anne's childhood so quickly, but the rest of the books are awfully slow, especially for impatient me! Oh well :)

Wonder by R.J. Palacio 
I loved this book! The main character, August, was born with a facial disorder which often leaves strangers shocked and disgusted by his appearance. As he enters school for the very first time, he meets some wonderful and not so wonderful people, and grows so much as a person WAAAH IT'S SO HEARTWARMING :D

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
As this is a current read, I haven't really got much to say, other than that I am tied in opinion. I can see why loads of people hate this book, but I can see why lots of others love it too...

What a long post! What have you been reading lately? Got any recommendations for me? :D

See y'all later!
Lena xx

No comments:

Post a Comment